I had the pleasure of delivering a staff development workshop to 25 Middle School Mathematics teachers at South San ISD this past weekend. The workshop began with a Google Form Survey to model how teachers could gather data and information from students using Google Forms and the iPad (the form could be accessed from a QR code and a bit.ly address). The rest of the day broke down into several categories:
- Apps that support vocabulary (also check out Flashcards & Quizlet lesson)
- Using Math Games purposefully (see link for Math Game evaluation rubric)
- Tips on how to utilize Surprisingly Educational apps like Pizza Time! and Slice it! Begins
- How to build iLessons and apptivities around tools like Check Please Lite and PercentDiff
- How to utilize Infographics in the iClassroom
- How to create student apptivities that utilize note-taking, problem-solving, and product-based assignments in the iClassroom
The beauty of presenting to others is the collaboration of minds. As the day was designed to be a workshop, teachers had plenty of time to explore apps, collaborate with fellow teachers, create apptivities for their students and their classroom, and share their resources with the rest of the class. One teacher had used a pairing of three different apps that I had never thought of linking together to create a grid on a map that could be measured and annotated. She opened the Maps app (resident on the device), took a screenshot of an area on the map, opened the screenshot in Tracing Paper Lite to create a grid on top of the map, took a screenshot, and then opened that screenshot up in Skitch to annotate it. What a great testament to how the iPad can be used to piggy-back on resources and create unique iCreations.
FREEBIES and GOODIES OH MY!
TechChef4u now offers a Doc Locker full of freebies and goodies that can be used in the classroom. Lots of resources and templates can be found in the Creatively Productive Digital Downloads Doc Locker. Just sign up using the form below and you will receive an email shortly with a secret link to the site and password to nab your freebies.