I have found through countless speaking engagements and professional development workshops, what we may think is obvious or even “tired” … is sometimes exactly what someone has been looking for. On that same note, many times all it takes is a sample or a nibble of a great idea to spark creative juices.
In the words of Austin Kleon…
“There’s only stuff worth stealing, and stuff that’s not worth stealing.” – Austin Kleon
So, this alliterative Wednesday post is devoted to just that…Wicked Good Ideas Worth Stealing.
In an era of app-smashing and rapid ebb, flow, and feeds of ideas, truly…
“every new idea is just a mashup or a remix of one or more previous ideas” – Austin Kleon
What catches the TechChef’s eye? Clever items and purposeful ideas that can be adapted and remixed for different settings (e.g. classroom, stations, professional development…) as well as a myriad of uses and content areas. We are all inspired by others and today I want to share with you three ideas and a group of educators that inspires me…
App Dice: As part of their professional development objective for App + App + App= Lesson, Annie Barton (@anniebarton0) and Hayley Schirmer (@schirmer_hayley) “encouraged teachers to implement a culture of planning lessons around using apps that meet a certain criteria, rather than specific apps.”
This little gem crams choice, app smashing, and exploration in to a space smaller than a crouton. And I definitely had a “Why didn’t I think of this?” moment. So to explore this recipe for learning, you will need:
- Dice: Each die was based on a different principle of the E5 Instructional model (e.g. Explore, Explain, Elaborate) and apps were then selected to be used with each principle and assigned to be sides of the die.
- Idea cards were also prepared for each app to provide additional curricular examples and ideas.
A full post about their process can be found on the Apps in Education page HERE.
Daily 5 App Menu: This creation from third grade teacher Monica Evon is definitely a keeper and a perfect recipe for learning. Everyone likes choice and this cleverly created menu is easily adaptable with additional activities and apps.
QR Code Board Games: While clearly designed to support and review phonics, the idea of QR Code Board Games and Task Cards is easily transferrable to other content areas and even the professional development realm. Read more about this creation from reading specialist Kristin Jordan and download it for FREE.
So this Wednesday… think about who inspires you and how you can honor their creations:
“In the end, merely imitating your heroes is not flattering them. Transforming their work into something of your own is how you flatter them. Adding something to the world that only you can add.” – Austin Kleon
Truly the showcase above is intended to whet your appetite for innovation. Now it is your turn… (and yes the TechChef will be cooking up a few remixed deconstructed dishes of her own as well…) so stay tuned..
TechChef4u Alliteration Alliance: Check out the other topics in the Ed Tech alliteration portfolio:
- MINDFUL MONDAY: COLLECTING REFLECTIONS
- MAGNIFICENT MONDAY: A MOTLEY OF SOCIAL POSTERS FOR LIFELONG LEARNERS
- MARVELOUS MONDAY: A MOTLEY OF APP CHALLENGES 4 ALL
- THOUGHT LEADERSHIP TUESDAY: SURVIVING THE DIGITAL ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
- TOTALLY TECHUCATION TUESDAY
- TOTALLY TERRIFIC THOUGHT LEADERSHIP THURSDAY
- TOTALLY TERRIFIC INTEGRATION AND CELEBRATION THURSDAY
- FREEBIE FRIDAY: 50+ EDITABLE IPAD GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS AND PROJECT TEMPLATES
TechChef Presents: Where will Lisa Johnson be sharing her app-thusiasm next?
- Technology in Elementary Education Conference (College Station): Keynoting
- TIC 2014 in June (Iowa): Keynoting
- iPadpalooza 2014 in June (Austin)
- SDE Power Up! 2014 in July (Vegas)
- ETT Summit 2014 in July (Chicago)
- ETT Summer iPad Workshops in August (Austin)
- Miami Device 2014 in November (Miami)
- Learning Forward 2014 (Nashville)
1:1 Deployment and Interested in 1:1 Deployment or PD strategies and implementation? Looking for a dynamic presenter or interactive workshop? Contact TechChef4u (firstname.lastname@example.org) for parent presentations, hands-on workshops, keynotes, and much more! Read testimonials about TechChef presentations.
TechChef Techucation Gazette: Sign up to receive future issues of the monthly e-Newsletter: There are many more learning app-ortunities and professional development toolkits to come. If you don’t want to miss a morsel of this techucation feast, sign up today.
DONT MISS the NEXT ISSUE: SIGN UP TODAY!!!
Contact TechChef4u to schedule Spring and Summer PD and Workshops: email@example.com