[listly id=”1CF” theme=”light” layout=”full” numbered=”yes” image=”yes” items=”all”]
I came across the app Painting With Time and Painting with Time: Climate Change a few months ago and was absolutely blown away! As Earth Day is on the horizon (Sunday, April 22nd 2012), I thought it might be app-ropro to provide a handful of suggestions to teach climate change and support being green using the iPad. (The climate change app is currently paid for Earth Day. The app developer will be donating half of the net proceeds to the Union of Concerned Scientists to aid their research on the effects of climate change on our planet.)
- Create a children’s book using an app like iPen FREE or Albums FX Lite using screenshots from Painting with Time Climate Change (or some of the apps below) to teach the effect of drought, global warming, flooding, volcanic eruptions, etc…
- Create a public service announcement or action alert using screenshots from Painting with Time: Climate Change (or some of the apps below) using an app like Videolicious or Bloom*.
- Create a screen-cast using an app like ScreenChomp to explain what occurred or caused the changes in the before and after images provided in Painting with Time Climate Change.
- Compose an earth day poem or prose using PWT app screenshots (or some of the apps below) and an app like Visual Poet.
- Create a Talking Tom & Ben News report to explain the climate change in your home town.
- A2Z on Global Warming
- Climate Mobile
- World Bank Climate Change
- Green Planet 4 Kids
- The Earth Glossary
- The Recyclies: Episode 1 and Episode 2
- The Rock Cycle
Other Classroom Ideas/Resources for Earth Day
In hindsight 60 apps in 60 minutes was a bit ambitious. I kind of felt as if we were auctioning off apps. (Perhaps a Nifty Fifty pack would have been a better fit.) For those of you who missed our session…or those of you who attended and caught whiplash from the sheer speed of it, here is a list of all of the apps we (Jon Samuelson and I) featured.
- Futaba Word Games
- Doodle Buddy
- Photo Measure Lite
- Tracing Paper Lite
- Bill Atkinson PhotoCard
- TypeDrawing FREE
- StoryLines for Schools
- Video Star
- Epic Citadel
- Pizza Time
- My PlayHome Lite
- Word Lens
- Sketchbook Express
- iMotion HD
- My Secret Diary
- Album FX Lite
- TapTap Blocks
- Choiceboard Creator
- Voice Thread
- Social Express Lite
- Mad Lips
- Inspiration Maps Lite
- Opposite Ocean
- Visual Poet
E-Books in the iClassroom: How can, have, or will you use E-Book projects in your classroom? Want to win a free promo code for the full version of Albums FX (regularly $4.99)?
Create unlimited albums and pages with Text, Videos, and Photos with Albums FX which offers Clipart, Stencils, Backgrounds, Animation, and Particle Effects. Albums can be emailed, shared, and printed. Leave a comment on “Exceptional E-Book Creators” (this blog) with the following information to be entered in a random drawing to win 1 of 5 Albums FX promo codes:
- Grade Level and Content area taught
- Details and info about how you can, have, or will use app(s) to create an E-Book project with your class.
Now that I have your attention…
This is a supplement to “Appy Hours 4 You” Blog Talk Radio Show: Episode 20: “Exceptional E-book Creators“. In this episode we featured nine FREE apps that could be utilized to create an E-book on the iPad. We discussed the features of each app as well as how it could be integrated into the classroom in multiple content areas and grade levels.
This week we discussed the following free apps:
- Story Spine: (also check out Words 4 Students for more mad-lib like apps to create a framework for a creative writing piece)
- StoryKit: (International Children’s Library)
- Picturebook (take a glimpse at Picturebook School Edition with 250 illustrations in 12 complete picture sets)
- iPen Free: (take a peek at iPen, XNote, and XNote Free)
- Demibooks Composer: (take a gander at Demibooks Composer User Guide)
- Albums FX Lite: (leave a comment and be entered to win Albums FX with unlimited albums and pages and tons of content)
- Clibe: (take a peek at their site and all of the public journals in the Clibe gallery)
- ScrapPad Movie Night Collage: (also check out Back to School and 9 other FREE themed books)
- Album App: (Tips & Tricks)
Stream this week’s episode or download it in iTunes directly.