A chat with one of our new Ed Techs prompted me to reflect on my last two years with Eanes ISD. And that led me to resurrect an unpublished post I drafted on the plane a few weeks ago…
While preparing for last month’s presentation “AWESOME ePortfolios” at Ed Tech Teacher’s Summit in Chicago, I found myself listening to Simon Sinek’s “Golden Circle” Ted Talk and reading Austin Kleon’s “Show Your Work”.
Start with the WHY
Simon’s states, “People don’t buy WHAT you do… they buy WHY you do it and that WHAT you do should prove WHAT you believe.”
Discovering the Golden Circle
His Golden Circle centers with a “Why”. The “How” and “What” must then revolve around the “Why”.
Applying his tenets and words of wisdom to my own sessions, I couldn’t help but flip the frame of reference on myself.
As I wind down from a very eventFULL summer and become entrenched in my third year as an Educational Technologist for Eanes ISD, I found myself reflecting on my decision to pick up my family and move to Austin to be part of what I very much now feel is my family and by far the best job on earth.
At my previous job, I knew in my heart that personalized learning was here to stay and that a 1:1 with mobile devices would facilitate that ideal. But what really made me take the Eanes leap… was a very distinct feeling that Eanes special sauce was passion and a clear and compelling vision.
I Came for the WHY
During an inspiring site visit to WHS, I discovered that Eanes ISD didn’t start with the WHAT on a whim: Let’s buy a bunch of devices. They started with the WHY (Learning and Engaging through Access and Personalization) and then moved towards the decision to initiate an iPad pilot. They didn’t say let’s buy this cool mobile furniture… they asked how do we support collaboration and creativity and then designed flexible learning environments to facilitate that. As I dive in to year 3, I have to say their WHY is always at the forefront of their decision-making and I am overjoyed that the 3 C’s as well as social and emotional intelligence will be threaded through instruction as we support the whole child.
After a very reaffirming convocation… I ventured to add a layer to Simon’s Golden Circle… the Who…
I Stay for the WHO
But truly beyond the WHY…. is now the WHO, the people that get the vision and work tirelessly to support it and integrate the devices to transform and redefine the classroom. I feel very blessed to be in a place that supports big ideas, pushing the boundaries, and people that want to challenge the status quo. We hire the WHO to support the WHY.
Our amazing teacher of the year, Norm Morgan, devotes himself to our robotics program at the HS and gave an amazing speech… reminding us all that what students learn in the classroom has the impact to change the world.
While we lost two members of our iVengers team this year, we gained two new members. One of which created by far my favorite interview video of all time:
These are just a few of the people (the WHO) that truly support our WHY.
“So as we embark on the 2014-2015 academic year… I ask you to reflect on your WHY… and the HOW, WHAT, and even the WHO that support that vision.” – Lisa Johnson
As you begin to choose tools and apps, plan student projects, attend conferences, embark on new initiatives, and do what you do best… consider your WHY when making these HOW and WHAT decisions.
Hungry for MORE… EXPLORE the TechChef4u Alliteration Alliance!
Check out the other topics in the Ed Tech alliteration portfolio:
- MULTIPURPOSE MONDAY: A MOTLEY OF IPAD BINGO CARDS
- MINDFUL MONDAY: COLLECTING REFLECTIONS
- MAGNIFICENT MONDAY: A MOTLEY OF SOCIAL POSTERS FOR LIFELONG LEARNERS
- MARVELOUS MONDAY: A MOTLEY OF APP CHALLENGES 4 ALL
- THOUGHT LEADERSHIP TUESDAY: SURVIVING THE DIGITAL ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
- TOTALLY EDUPRENEURIAL TUESDAY: THE FUTURE OF ED TECH
- TOTALLY TECHUCATION TUESDAY
- THRIFTY TUESDAY: TRANSFORMATIONAL IPAD GRANTS
- WINSOME WEDNESDAY: DELIGHTFUL STUDENT PUBLISHING
- WICKED-GOOD WEDNESDAY: 3 IDEAS WORTH STEALING
- WICKED-GOOD WEDNESDAY: REAL PD THAT ACTUALLY WORKS
- TOTALLY TERRIFIC THOUGHT LEADERSHIP THURSDAY
- TOTALLY TERRIFIC INTEGRATION AND CELEBRATION THURSDAY
- iPAD FILM FESTIVAL FRIDAY
- FIERCE FRIDAY: TECHCHEF4U’S EPIC PHOTOMAP PD RECAP
- FREEBIE FRIDAY: 50+ EDITABLE IPAD GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS AND PROJECT TEMPLATES
- Technology in Elementary Education Conference (College Station): Keynoting
- TIC 2014 in June (Iowa): Keynoting
- iPadpalooza 2014 in June (Austin)
- SDE Power Up! 2014 in July (Vegas)
- ETT Summit 2014 in July (Chicago)
- ETT Summer iPad Workshops in August (Austin)
- Miami Device 2014 in November (Miami)
- Stay Tuned for Updated 2015 Dates!
1:1 Deployment and Interested in 1:1 Deployment or PD strategies and implementation? Looking for a dynamic presenter or interactive workshop? Contact TechChef4u (email@example.com) for parent presentations, hands-on workshops, keynotes, and much more! Read testimonials about TechChef presentations.
TechChef Techucation Gazette: Sign up to receive future issues of the monthly e-Newsletter: There are many more learning app-ortunities and professional development toolkits to come. If you don’t want to miss a morsel of this techucation feast, sign up today.
HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST ISSUE? WICKED GOOD SUMMER PD IDEAS!
Contact TechChef4u to schedule Spring and Summer PD and Workshops: firstname.lastname@example.org